Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Freezer Fun

So my big plan for today was to cook up a HUGE pot of soup. I thought this was a good way to use up some veggies that were about to expire. Not to mention, I had some miscellaneous can vegetables that weren't enough to feed us. My goal was to cook enough soup to make us 3 batches. Since Aunt Judy had the girls today (thanks Aunt Judy), the boys did some school work in the kitchen. No sooner had the pot been turned off to cool, than the phone rang. It was Grandmother calling to say she had a freezer emergency. She came to the house and collected the boys and I. We got to her house and looked at the damage, the freezer had been off for a good 12 hours. It is hard to know where to start when you have a project that big. So since I had soup on the brain, everything that was thawing that looked like it would be good in soup, went in a big pot. When it was finished we had salvaged all the good stuff, mostly fruit Grandaddy had gathered and Grandmother had preserved. We had to throw out a good bit, and it was kind of sad, all that hard work, going out. But the soup was delicious and made enough for my Grandparents to have 4 more meals. And I know you are dying to know what we did with all that soup, we FROZE it. In the newly repaired freezer. Once I got home, fed the kids, bathed the kids, and got them in the bed, I put up my soup and had enough for us to have 4 meals. So I am feeling Freezer Frenzy Fun!! Say that 3 times fast!

No comments: