Monday, January 21, 2008

Thoughts for today

Today I was able to stay in our bedroom and have some really quiet time. I sat and read L'Abri. Now, I have to preface these next few comments by saying this...when I read a book, I like to soak it all in. And I like to compare it to the Bible. Well, I am laying in the bed, all snuggled in, and this book really gets to me. This is a real story of the home and community of Edith and Frances Schaffer. Edith has recorded in this book the workings of the hand of God in the hearts, home, and in their lives. She also recorded the impact God had in the lives of the people who came to their home.

I suddenly found myself crying. Not out of a sadness for the struggles they faced, not out of whimsical fairy tale, but out of pure desire. I put the book down and began praying. Praying that God would use us. That He would send the people that needed to hear about Him. I prayed that God would strengthen our faith, that He would continue to show us His will, that we would be available for those in need. I prayed that God would take care of all the details we had yet to know to ask for. I asked Him to begin shaping the hearts of the people we would meet. That the area in which we are to minister would be ripe.

I prayed all this and more. I can't even put into words now, what I was praying. I just know that I opened it all out to the Lord. It was like I had want to talk to the Lord about it for a long time, but couldn't find the words. This time I sat in the quiet of my bedroom and just met with Him. I was flooded with peace and Love. Like a big quilt had covered my cold body and wrapped me up nice and warm. I felt "Cozy".

I kept reading the book, and the more I read the deeper my thoughts went. I saw areas I needed to improve in my life. The kind of example I want to set before my children. The kind of wife I want to be to my husband. The kind of friend I desire to be. It reminded me of a childhood song. The words went something like this: "He's still working on me. To make me what I ought to be. It took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars, the sun and the earth and jupiter and mars. How loving and patient He must be, cause He's still working on me."

Today, my bedroom became my sanctuary. I could have stayed curled up in that room all day. However, in the life of a mother and wife, I made my way out and enjoyed the fellowship of being at home. Surrounded by love, heavenly and earthly. My heart feels so full tonight as I write this . I still have to finish the book, so I will sign off for tonight.

From my home to yours,
Elizabeth

No comments: